Free version of ALK2

this evening I installed ALK2 again (now free version) and after 10 minutes I had so many new ideas, whilst I was struggling with Ableton for the last days… the cool thing with ALK is that you have to work with the tones you record in - and that´s a great limitation :slight_smile: less is more. And work on from that point…

It´s a shame this program will not be developed anymore. Martin/sertaak, you are a VERY talented developer, perhaps you just need some support of a bigger company so you can go on programming - and have nothing t do with marketing etc…
ALK2 is the best tool I was working with the last years - and I worked with nealy ALL DAW on the market…
Perhaps you will go on looking for a big player /remember Woody from Tracktion) to buy/do a cooperation or go on developing in free time and place a donate-button on homepage. So there will be no stress anymore for you and the program will live on some way. I, for myself would donate for a survival of ALK:-) perhaps others will do, too …

1 Like

This is just great software and a great concept.

I’m running it on mac, and it’s super slick, the UI is smooth and performant and well thought out. You could still look at converting it to a subscription system (annual subscription, during which time the user will get updates). This way you can make recurring income from existing users to finance the continued development of the product. I would be happy to pay a subscription for it.

You mentioned the Free Mac version isn’t working yet. Although I did get it to run using the xattr command, it does not record any audio though, even though I chose the right interface. I hope you’ll be uploading a working version soon, I can’t wait to try it out.

Thank you so much for making it free. And again, if you can work out a subscription-based license, I expect there’d be many people who’d be happy to pay, so you’d get recurring income to help finance development.

Yes, I noticed that only after pushing the release… sorry about that. Obviously I was surprised by this, because my changes in the latest released on the one hand the changes to licensing, and on the other, simply recompiling with updated OpenGL libraries and a few others. But I think we’re getting bitten by the ever increasing control exerted by MacOS over apps running on it. In this case, it’s completely justified - MacOS wants my app to ask you permission to use audio capture devices. Pretty reasonable stuff, but it’s a hoop I’m going to have to jump through, so please bear with me. I’ve got the kids with me right now, but hopefully I’ll have some time to sort this out later in the evening.

(I’ll admit, I have a personal motivation. I have a suite of plugins which use some really sweet C++ techniques using Boost Hana and range-v3 so create a plugin framework which truly modular.)

struct distortion : fx_type::mono, fx_type::online {
            def_params((dB_t, gain));

gain pre_gain;

inline auto control() -> params_t { return params_t{pre_gain.control().amount}; }

inline auto control(hertz_t f_s, const params_t& p) -> void {
                pre_gain.control(f_s, gain::params_t{p.gain});
            }

inline auto operator()(fs_t x) const noexcept -> fs_t {
                const float z = pre_gain(x).value();
                return fs_t(z > 0 ? 1.f - exp(-z) : -1.f + exp(z));
            }
        };

struct overdrive : fx_type::mono, fx_type::online {
            def_params((dB_t, gain));

gain pre_gain;

inline auto control() -> params_t { return params_t{pre_gain.control().amount}; }

inline auto control(hertz_t f_s, const params_t& p) -> void {
                pre_gain.control(f_s, gain::params_t{p.gain});
            }

inline auto operator()(fs_t x) const noexcept -> fs_t {
                const auto z = pre_gain(x);
                const auto square = [](auto x) { return x * x; };

if (z > 0_FS) {
                    if (z <= 1_FS / 3)
                        return z * 2;
                    else if (z <= 2_FS / 3)
                        return fs_t((3.f - square(2.f - z() * 3)) / 3.f);
                    else
                        return 1_FS;
                } else {
                    if (z >= -1_FS / 3)
                        return z * 2;
                    else if (z >= -2_FS / 3)
                        return -fs_t((3.f - square(2.f + z() * 3)) / 3.);
                    else
                        return -1_FS;
                }
            }
        };

Those are full implementations of overdrive and distortion “pedels”. Note how short they are! It’s because they Boost Hana populates the parameters for the plugin GUI literally from the name of the variable (dB_t, gain) tells the system that the plugin has a gain parameter which is specified in dB. That automatically tells you you need a dial, unity gain at “1”, -infty at “0”, up to +6dB gain at max, etc. Also the fx_type::mono and fx_type::online tell the system that I’ll only implement a single channel, please duplicate to create a stereo effect, and that we calculate the plugin on a sample-by-sample basis so please do a for-loop over the whole input buffer. (That last thing couldn’t be done in the traditional way, using virtual functions, because the overhead of method invocation would blast a whole in your audio callback. C++ is sweeet…)

1 Like

Great, can’t wait! Thank you for the update.

Hi.
I downloaded the free ALK 2 but it tells me I need a code both for the trail and the full version…

I’m on PC by the way…

Yes, apologies about this. I switched off licensing but missed a place, which I didn’t notice because a license file was present on my computer. I’ll fix this today hopefully.

1 Like

Thats Great! I cant wait to try this program. Hope you will get paid for your work some day!

Hey Martin, what about to let ALK live on in a way without stress for you? Just imagine: everybody knows there is no straight development to be expected - you were willing to stop it all.
You - the programmer would only work in some spare time as a hobby, just if you want to (not every day or so - perhaps just once a year). Just as the programmer wants to grow the program. Nobody has got expectations - as the program is not to be sold - it´s free. You will get perhaps some money for your hobby by a donation button or a donation subscription (I would do). So you would have no pressure to deliver and the userbase would live on.
Would be a win-win for all: no pressure and a (small) income for you by your hobby and the users will play on with one of the coolest music apps available…
Please think about it…

2 Likes

That’s a great suggestion mkfne. I’d be willing to pay a subscription fee, too.

Hello! When I install the windows version here I got a “End of Trial” message and can’t use it. How do I get around that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got in activating with all 1s.

Hi. Is this free version running on Mojave (10.14.6)? I’ve tried installing (went smooth), but it’s telling me that I need to be on 10.15…

1 Like

I’ve installed it,but it asks for a product key,even for fee authorization.

I’m having the same authorization issue. I can get it to work sporadically by entering all one’s for the code.

I am also on board with mkfne’s donation button suggestion.

I hate to bother the developer with the activation issue of free software. Does anyone else have a work around for this? Awesome software!

I’m running win 10 pro 64 bit

Just try entering all 1’s…

Hello, I downloaded the windows installer but when trying to use the program it says my trial has already ended

Hi everyone - apologies for the late reply.

1. Windows - I will fix very by this weekend. Apologies, I kind of bungled the licensing thing – I know how to fix though.
  2. MacOS - this was a little trickier. As I mentioned last Sunday, I had a stab at it, and actually got quite far. The problem is that the only way I could get it to work was to upgrade JUCE (the underlying audio lib). That’s a pretty big change, which has benefits (e.g. new audio plugins like ladder filter etc.), but also drawbacks, and it’s a pretty big change.

I think I’ll have new Windows & Mac versions by end of weekend, but be aware that in the case of Mac, there could be some issues. Also, usual caveats apply - I may not have time on the weekend :slight_smile:

Woah, that worked? haha. But yeah, it ought to, because I basically jerry-rigged the function that affirms licensing to always return true. What I should have done is remove that screen altogether. Anyways…

Thanks for alerting me to this. I’ll take a look.

Will you think about the idea mentioned before to give ALK back some life?